google-site-verification: google70410e9e92d4fda2.html

Monday 2 November 2015

Goodbye My Faithful Friend

You may or may not have noticed that I have been absent the past few days
and I will be taking a few more days off to allow our family to re-group

And the reason for that is because we have been intensively nursing the youngest of our Geriatric West Highland White Terriers, Hamish
Hamish' Claim to Fame is that both his father, and grandfather were dogs used in the Cesar Dog Food Adverts


If you have followed my blog for some time, you will know that for the past 9 months, Hamish has been fighting a battle against a rare cancer that was invading his sinus cavity to the left side of his head.
He underwent intensive palliative radiotherapy with a few ups and downs that interrupted treatment.
Throughout all of this, he remained the cheeky chappy we have loved and cherished for the past 11 years. A true companion.

his recent post-treatment CT revealed no improvement in the stage of his cancer, and this meant his life expectancy was now short.
Sadly it has been shorter than we hoped, and has needed a lot of TLC following a couple of unrelated infections.
Over the weekend, the tumour eroded through the bridge of his nose, a completely unexpected event, and we made the decision that it is his time to find eternal peace.
We had the dreadful job of explaining this to our grandchildren when they visited yesterday.
My 8 year old Grandson, asked if I could help him to make a card so he could put it in Hamish's Casket, when he is eventually returned to us

The card above is the card that Alfie made
inside he wrote:

I hope you have lots of fun there, and if you find my cat, Charlie, you won't be alone.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,

"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.

Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.



GooGoodby My Faithful Friend, one day we'll meet again, for now it is au revoir 

RIP Hamish's Winter Celebration
I know you will always be by my side
22/10/2004 - 02.11/2015

No comments: